No, this “Third Party” does not refer to a third party like the Green Party or the Libertarian Party. This “third party” is a “law” expounded by L. Ron Hubbard as a “breakthrough in resolving conflicts”. He says:
WHILE IT IS COMMONLY BELIEVED TO TAKE TWO TO MAKE A FIGHT, A THIRD PARTY MUST EXIST AND MUST DEVELOP IT FOR ACTUAL CONFLICT TO OCCUR.
It is very easy to see that two in conflict are fighting. They are very visible. What is harder to see or suspect is that a third party existed and actively promoted the quarrel.
The hidden third party, seeming at times to be a supporter of only one side, is to be found as the instigator.
This is a useful law in many areas of life.
L. Ron Hubbard
The Third Party Law.
While it is doubtful that this “law” is as absolute as Hubbard says, it is important for non-Scientologists to understand it because this is a technique that the Church of Scientology firmly believes and will use and is using as a weapon against their perceived enemies. Whether this could ever be used to resolve conflicts isn’t particularly important. What is important is that this technique can be used to create and prolong conflicts.
Perhaps one could call this sort of thing “Black Scientology,” the idea of using Scientology techniques to damage people and create chaos to the church’s benefit. It seems like the Church of Scientology does that a lot.
Here is how it works:
The Church of Scientology keeps feeding all Scientologists a constant stream of “information” about Scientology critics and, especially, Anonymous. They “document” how these enemies are part of the world-wide conspiracy against Scientology. They “document” how Anonymous is being funded by the big drug companies. They “document” how Anonymous is made up of evil communists who are using Hubbard’s Brainwashing Manual for their operating manual (of course, they don’t mention Hubbard wrote it).
This has many benefits for David Miscavige and his henchmen:
- It keeps Scientologists upset and afraid. This is very important for control. Scientologists won’t look outside the church for information because “it’s too dangerous!”
- They can extort a lot more money from Scientologists to “fight this major enemy”.
- It ensures that Scientologists will reject any information from Anonymous.
- It distracts attention away from the crimes, abuses and fraud brought up by Anonymous and Scientology critics.
But, of course, this is only half the job. To properly use Hubbard’s “Third Party” technique, the Church of Scientology also has to feed false information to Anonymous.
Given the nature of the Internet and the loose organization and anonymity of the group Anonymous, this is very, very simple.
The Church of Scientology, through their “secret police” group OSA (Office of Special Affairs), have created various Anonymous persona who urge illegal and destructive actions against Scientologists and Scientology churches. These false Anonymous want Anonymous to go back to their *chan roots. Any attacks that make Anonymous look evil and the Church of Scientology a “victim” are encouraged.
The benefits of this are simple:
- As long as Anonymous sounds sane and non-violent, people will listen; people will agree. This must be stopped.
- The church has called Anonymous “terrorists”. They need Anonymous to start acting like that again.
- Violent and illegal actions by Anonymous would help keep Scientologists upset and afraid, which means more control and more money for Miscavige.
- Violent and illegal actions are the perfect justification for all the evil that the Church of Scientology does. “We must do these things, look what they did to us!”
- If Anonymous focuses on Miscavige’s crimes, the church loses. If Anonymous goes off on any other tangent, the church wins.
Now, of course, not everyone who parrots this OSA-as-Anonymous attack line is OSA. I’m not saying that. However, be very, very sure OSA is pushing this idea. OSA is constantly working to make Anonymous go illegal and go violent. They want this very badly.
The Church of Scientology (meaning David Miscavige) likes this conflict. Miscavige wants Scientologists and Anonymous to fight. He is making a lot of money off of this fight and he wants a lot more.