This is the true story of Scientology.
- In 1950 L. Ron Hubbard proclaimed that he had “discovered” the cause of all human suffering. This “thing” was invisible and undetectable. Hubbard was the only person to discover it and only Hubbard’s “technology” could get rid of it.
- He called the invisible “thing” the “Reactive Mind1“.
- A believer pays a lot of money to Scientology and gets a lot of processing and, eventually, the Church of Scientology tells them that they no longer have this invisible thing, they are a “Clear”.
- Unsurprisingly, Clears do not feel particularly different from before.
- Then, in 1967, Hubbard proclaimed that, while “researching advanced levels above Clear”, he had discovered a myriad of new, invisible and undetectable “things”. Again, Hubbard was the only person to be able to detect these things and his “technology” was the only way to get rid of these invisible things.
- Hubbard called these invisible things “Body Thetans2“.
- A believer pays a huge amount more money, goes through the various steps and, eventually, the Church of Scientology tells them that, “poof”, they no longer have all those “Body Thetans”. They are an “OT”.
- Unsurprisingly, OTs do not feel particularly different from before “getting rid of” their “Body Thetans”.
Or, to sum it all up:
L. Ron Hubbard worked out how to make people pay a lot of money to “get rid of” things that don’t exist.
1 Despite believer’s earnest efforts, the existence of the “Reactive Mind” has never been proven.
2 The existence of “Body Thetans has also never been proven.